Friday 3 December 2010

'Tash'tastic baseball cards

Real life takes over and the little 'luxury' things like writing a blog post fall by the way-side. Fortunately the recent snow falls have closed my school so I am able to spend the spare time doing what I enjoy.
While I have been unable to write, a few packages fell on my doorstep. A tidy little pile of Red Sox from Mr Ross at Boxbusters, some boxes of 2010 Topps Series 2 courtesy of the Alley family in North Carolina and a second selection of Red Sox from fellow Red Sox collector Chris at The Call of Cardboard.
Chris sent along an assortment of '81 Topps and '82 Donruss and I noticed that so many of the players sported lip fungus in this era. In fact it was unusual to be photographed sans facial hair.

A popular charity in recent years has been a prostate cancer awareness group who have hijacked the month of November and proclaimed it 'Mo'vember. Many TV celebrities, sports stars (including a touring Australian Rugby Team) and the rest of us common people grew 'tashes' to raise awareness. Premier League footballers have yet to join as they are far to image conscious and poncy. Regrettably while sporting a moustache, all I need is a cowboy outfit and I could be quite easily (although not comfortably ) qualify as a member of the village people.

So here to help raise the awareness just at the end of 'Mo' vember, a few macho tashes found in the selection of Red Sox from Chris. Mr Dennis Eckersley sporting a Magnum PI tashe, stare and healthy growth of hair.

Mr Jerry Remy opting also for a Tom Selleck but failing miserably with the hair.

and finally Mr Dwight Evans favouring a Burt Reynolds (in the Sally Field era) tashe.
No Pogonophobes in the 1980's.

3 comments:

AdamE said...

Haven't heard from you in awhile. I'm glad you are still around.

Tony Mc said...

I still have my movember tash. It took me a month to grow a pathetic fuzz and now I dont want to let it go! Glad to see you blogging again, hows the snow at your end?

Captain Canuck said...

snow here is a little over three feet.... you?

Our hockey team, the Calgary Flames supported the Movember cause. It was horible, but they raised a lot of $$$