Friday 20 February 2009

Holiday Break

One of the bonuses of being a teacher is that we have a good number of holidays. There is talk of reducing the holidays but most of the teachers I know usually work through the holidays and spend most of it in school catching up with the work they couldn't get done during term time (marking books, paper work, etc).
So when my wife booked a holiday for the start of this recent half-term I was pleased that we were 'getting away'. We went to a place called 'Centre Parcs' in Elveden Forest in Suffolk. The idea of this holiday village is that everything is available on the site and there are no cars allowed. The above picture is of the holiday chalet we stayed in. It was a decaying wooden hut in the middle of a forest. We spent the week swimming, walking, eating and relaxing. My boys and I played golf one day and did a two day scuba diving course in the big pool. The girls went shopping. We also had a great time feeding all the animals that came to the back door, Muntjack deers, squirrels, ducks, pheasants and birds too numerous to mention, although I think I did see a Blue Jay.
I wore my Boston Red Sox shirt just in case I bumped into fellow fan as I did in London at Christmas. Unfortunately no takers.
One night however, we dined at this place called 'Hucks American Diner'.

It was meant to be a traditional American diner. I'm not sure how close it was to the real thing unless diners in American have pictures of Andy Warhol and Roy Lichtenstein on every wall and napkins like this:
The food however was excellent. Again I'm not sure how traditional the food was. There was cornbread, ribs, crab cakes, cowboy steak, Cajun chicken, thanksgiving dinner, coleslaw referred to as 'slaw', and something called a 'Philly' cheese steak. They wouldn't let me have a menu so I photographed it instead.
Is this a traditional American dish?
If your wondering, my wife and I both opted for cornbread as a starter and a 'Big Ribeye steak' with BBQ sauce as a main. Lovely. I even wore my Red Sox shirt.

2 comments:

night owl said...

It looks like fairly traditional American diner food. Don't know if it tastes like it though.

The Philly Cheese Steak is probably among the top 5 things anyone thinks of when they think of Philadelphia. I love them but don't eat as many as I used to (diet and all).

Ross said...

Thas American Alright!

Cheesesteaks RULE!